Thursday, March 6, 2014

Our Story For United Way

Another Opportunity To Share Coltons Story 


I was approached with another opportunity this past week to share our experience with Skip Dynamic Partners Birth To Three program and I gladly accepted. I just thought I would share what was written with you all. Albeit it isn't anything new. I'm just so happy to share Coltons progress with anyone and everyone. It will always be a journey but being able to focus on the positive aspects and joys of it mean so much to me. Enjoy! 

I first noticed something was different about my son Colton when he was very little. I brushed a lot of it aside just telling myself I was probably overreacting. He hit all of his milestones so I figured everything was okay. When he was fourteen months old he started whispering and by fifteen months he stopped talking completely. We began to worry and expressed our fears at his eighteen month checkup. Our doctor suggested waiting until he was two before we really investigated this. It was during this wait time I watch many other strange things begin to manifest in my son. After doing a lot of research on my own I began to believe he was autistic. At his two year checkup in June I insisted my doctor refer us to Children's Autism Center in Seattle. We had our appointment there in August and they referred us to get his tested for developmental delay and autism. We scheduled an evaluation with Skip Dynamic Partners Birth to Three program for that September. It was at this appointment my son was classified as developmentally delayed. It was of course difficult to receive but we were just happy to be able to start helping him. A month later we had him tested at a center in Federal Way and he was diagnosed as autistic level two. We began therapies with Skip in October starting with OT therapy. My son has really bonded with his OT and we have watched so much growth and development come from it. By the beginning of November he was saying "Mama" and a few other words. It was at this time we also added on Speech therapy. It is now March and I'm happy to report that my son has grown from a child who was afraid of many sounds and other children, who couldn't talk at all to now a child who is responsive to others and becoming very talkative. We couldn't be happier. I'm sad our time is growing short with Skip, they have truly been a godsend to us. If you are interested in knowing more I highly suggest reading my blog at coltonsmama2011.blogspot.com. I am proud of what my son has accomplished and I have so much hope for his future. We owe a lot to the therapists at Skip, they will always have a special place in our hearts.  

In Closing 

As always thank you for reading and for your continued support. I'm so proud of my son. Some days can be especially tough but I wouldn't change him "cure" him for the world. I embrace my sons autism. Without it he wouldn't be who he is. I continue to learn so much from him and others in the autism community. I have to admit I'm pleasantly surprised at how well we all support each other. The strongest women I have ever met I have met while on this journey and I am proud to be among them. 




No comments:

Post a Comment